Dental professionals recommend dental checkups every six months for professional cleaning and a dental exam. Routine dental visits can help to maintain your teeth and smile in great condition for a lifetime, which would also positively influence your overall health and wellbeing. Yet few people enjoy going to the dentist.
If this is your first time visiting a dentist in Alhambra, CA, then your initial exam will likely include a conversation about the history of your oral and general health. It is important to provide details about any diseases or conditions you have and the medications you’re currently taking.
You will also have a physical exam that may include:
- A thorough inspection of all your teeth for decay, cracks, fractures, malocclusion, and other signs of damage
- An assessment of the condition of any existing dental repair work, like fillings, crowns, veneers, and so on.
- A thorough check of your gum health using a tiny measuring device, periodontal probe, to measure the gum line – where the gums meet the tooth root
- Screening to check for signs of oral cancer and other diseases in your tongue, lips, mouth, throat, neck, gums, and other oral tissues.
- X-rays to provide additional diagnostic information
You can also expect a thorough teeth cleaning to remove plaque and tartar.
Depending on the results of your exam, your dentist will discuss your customized plan for preventive care and/or ongoing treatment, such as a schedule for subsequent checkups or an appointment for additional dental work to fix any problems found during the exam.
It is important to visit the dentist every six months. But some patients may require shorter or longer intervals depending on their oral health and risk of future dental disease. The frequency of your visits will depend on the condition of your teeth, gums, and mouth, to ensure that you get the necessary treatment as early as possible before any problems arise or get worse. Just don’t skip your next appointment